Food’s the topic for Monday Listicles this week, and I’m always ready to talk about food! I decided to share 10 Pinterest recipe successes. I’ve pinned so many things that I haven’t gotten around to making on Pinterest (especially crafts – I’m just not crafty), but I actually do try some of the recipes I pin. The easier ones. Here are a few from my Recipes We’ve Made board that we’ve enjoyed – most have been enjoyed more than once.
Starting with breakfast…
1. Butterscotch Rolls – I just made these this weekend. They were delicious. And easy. The base was Rhodes Dinner Rolls, which it turns out are the best base for…pretty much everything. They’re light and fluffy and the caramel was perfectly ooey and gooey. Bonus – the butterscotch topping hardened into basically toffee for later snacking.
Moving right onto dinners…
2. Crockpot Ribs – We’re having these again this week. My husband loves some ribs, and he says he prefers these to any restaurant ribs he’s ever had. Plus, like pretty much anything I try and like – easy!
3. Crockpot Shredded Beef – This is actually in my crockpot cooking as I type. It’s one of our favorite crockpot beef recipes. We don’t use it for tacos – it’s plenty good on its own.
4. Baked Spaghetti – This recipe taught us that crispy fried onions – and cream cheese – make something that was already delicious even better.
5. Spicy & Creamy Sausage Pasta – This was one of the first recipes I tried on Pinterest, and still one of our favorites. It’s the meal that caused my girls to raise their hands when asked if they love dinner a couple weeks ago! (I’m linking to my own pin because my version is slightly modified from the original recipe I tried.)
6. Sweet & Spicy Bacon Chicken – This one’s so simple and so tasty. The sweet and spicy and salty combo is just delicious. We just lay the bacon on top of the chicken – it’s not quite as pretty, but the bacon on the bottom of the chicken didn’t cook as much as the part on the top when they were wrapped around.
7. Garlic Chicken Farfalle – Can you tell we love pasta? I think it’s the Italian in us. This is another one of our favorites – we had it last week and I swear it gets better every time. Plus it’s an awesome leftover! I like that part of the cooking effort takes place in the crockpot.
8. Crockpot Mashed Potatoes – I mentioned these after Thanksgiving, and I find I’m still thinking about them and the fact that I could make mashed potatoes in the middle of the week now! Normally I wouldn’t because they take just a little too much time and effort for a weeknight. But not in the crockpot!
9. Best Rolls Eve r - As I mentioned above, Rhodes Dinner Rolls are awesome. They’re also the base for these delicious rolls.
10. Rolos Cookies – Last but not least, one recent dessert recipe. These Rolos cookies only have 4 ingredients, so they’re easy. And, in case I haven’t used this word enough in this post, delicious. You should try them.
So, to sum up…I love Pinterest. Especially for finding recipes. I’m currently searching for the perfect idea for a treat to include in our teacher gifts. Do you have any suggestions for me?Read More
This week’s Monday Listicles topic is a fun one that I swear I could happily do every day: 10 pictures from your cellphone. I was going to go through my phone pictures and include a random selection, but Brinkley was so cute this evening that I easily managed 10 (or so) just during an hour of hanging out with him. So…
10 Cellphone Pictures of Sunday Night with Brinkley
1. After dinner, random ball throwing time (he’s such a boy) and dessert, we headed to the bath to get his sticky hands, and the rest of his dirty body clean. He was having fun making waves in the water.
2. Once he was dressed he clearly wanted to play in his room for a bit. First up, opening and closing the doors of his dresser. Hard. Just like he enjoys opening and closing the cabinet doors in the kitchen. So much fun.
3. The cat made the mistake of wandering into Brinkley’s lair. She left again after Brinky grabbed her tail, which shouldn’t have surprised her since he does it every time.
4. We went to see what his sisters were doing and found Jenny sitting on the floor, reading fan fiction (her favorite thing to do right now), listening to her favorite songs, and watching TV. She’s a multi-tasker, that Jenny. It may not look like it, but this is actually really clean for their room.
5. Reagan was up in her bunk, chilling out and reading whichever Percy Jackson book she’s on now. Dogs were hanging out on Jenny’s bunk since it was available.
6. Back in Brinky’s room, he kept trying to look past me at one of his favorite things – the string that hangs down from the attic stairs in the hallway. It fascinates him.
7. Then he paused to stare at me when he noticed I was taking pictures. And he actually didn’t close his eyes for once! Isn’t he a cute one?
8. A little bed jumping time.
9. Taking a little time to pull and twist the curtains.
10. Then he started sucking his thumb and climbing onto his crib (where he no longer sleeps) and I decided play time was over and we moved on to the bed to snuggle for a bit before he went to sleep. (I’m not sure why Darth Vader’s laying in the middle of the floor.)Read More
I’ve had a busy few
weeks months at work, and I’m happy to report I’m officially on vacation this week! And I must say that I was about as ready for vacation as I could be. Even though I love my work.
I have big plans for vacation week, including:
- Taking the kids to the park to try to get decent pictures for Christmas cards. We went yesterday, though I wouldn’t necessarily say our task of decent pictures was accomplished. See below. (Don’t worry. I’ve taken a Facebook poll and determined I should in fact include some of these fun outtakes on my Christmas card. So I’m going to.)
- Stay up late and watch the American Music Awards with my girls. Currently in progress. I enjoy awards shows more now with my girls and Twitter than I ever used to.
- Have the couches cleaned so they don’t smell so much like gross dog.
- Catch up on some of my PTA treasurer duties.
- Make a dessert for Reagan’s Thanksgiving Feast at school on Tuesday. Maybe these. (Or maybe I’ll just make them for myself.)
- Spend lots of time on Pinterest deciding on said dessert.
- Attend the actual Thanksgiving Feast, and maybe volunteer to help since I can take my time.
- Go to the grocery store about six times since I always forget something.
- Make food for our own relaxing Thanksgiving at home.
- Watch the Macy’s Parade with the girls (and Brinky, I suppose, but I doubt he’ll pay attention).
And I guess I should start thinking about Christmas, too! I have to go back to work on Friday. Do you think I can get it all done? And relax a little, too?Read More
I love to look at old Halloween pictures at this time of year, so of course I’m going to share a few here. 10 of my favorites from the past few years.
A chunky baby Reagan as Stitch. I don’t think she liked it. She certainly fell asleep on me in that costume before the night was done.
Little Jenny as Mulan. Her hair looked just like Brinky’s does now.
A little cheating with a two in one, but this pictures always makes me smile. Wonder Woman Jenny and Princess Reagan doing some kind of powerful poses.
Tinkerbell Reagan with her long hair and cute striped tights.
A Cheetah girl Jenny. Isn’t she cute?
One of Jenny’s favorites: a crazy-eyed green-haired witch.
Can you tell what this one is? It should be obvious. A devil monkey. That’s what Reagan wanted to be for some unknown reason, and since I’m not a crafty mom, we pieced it together from a Littlest Pet Shop monkey costume and devil ears and pitchfork.
Jenny was an angel the same year Reagan was a devil monkey.
Reagan as Batgirl last year.
And Brinky as Wolverine without the hat, and with much less hair than he has now.
Sharing some of my favorites (a week after Halloween costumes was the Monday Listicles topic) as we get ready for this year! I’m not sure how great our pictures will be since they’re all going to have to wear big coats over their costumes if it’s as cold as the forecast says.Read More
I’m always ready to make a list of songs (unless you ask me to actually rank them – I’m not good at choosing favorites), so 10 Songs, with no specific restriction is a wonderful Listicles topic if you ask me. I decided to focus my list on songs I like to listen to at a very high volume, with the windows down, in the car. And then I like to sing them as loud as I can. If my girls are in the car to be embarrassed or sing along, depending on the song, that’s just a bonus. These are in no particular order, other than the order I thought of them.
10 Songs to Listen to with the Windows Down
1. Thao, Bag of Hammers – We saw Thao open for Rilo Kiley a few years ago and I’ve never forgotten the incredible performance of this song, which is one of my absolute favorites to sing and can always cheer me up.
2. Liz Phair, Greased Lightning – I was going to choose Mayqueen for my Liz Phair song because it’s probably my favorite for loud-listening, but I already used it on my soundtrack post, so I’m going with Grease Lightning instead. Of course I can’t find a video for it, but that just means it’s extra good. A few of our favorite Liz songs are from a demo album we got years and years ago, so they’re harder to find.
3. Rilo Kiley, A Better Son/Daughter – I just can’t even express how much I love this song, but I do. When we first got into Rilo Kiley, I somehow missed this song, but when I heard them perform it live I found out what I was missing.
4. Blues Traveler, Run-around – I loved this song so much my senior year of high school. I’m certain Lee remembers me wanting to listen to it on all of our road trips the summer after I graduated. Because it’s awesome.
5. Paul Simon, Bernadette – This song is from the Songs from the Capeman soundtrack, which is amazing if you didn’t know. This one’s doo-wop and so much fun to sing!
6. Billy Joel, The Longest Time – This is one of the original what I call “top down songs” because I used to listen to it on car rides in whichever convertible my dad had at any given time. I guess that’s really when I started listening to Paul Simon, too!
7. Jackson 5, The Love You Save – I love Jackson 5 songs. They’re the ultimate pick-me-up. This one’s my favorite.
8. New Kids on the Block, Summertime – Remember when New Kids on the Block had their comeback a few years ago and released this song? We loved it (we being me and my girls). It’s perfect for listening to during the…summertime. Also awesome when we saw them in concert because we’re cool like that.
9. Hot Chelle Rae, Tonight Tonight – And for something a little more recent…this is totally my kind of song. You know it’s good (for me) when we first hear it and Lee immediately refers to it as a Katie song because he recognizes its awesomeness. Plus it’s one the girls like, too.
10. One Direction, What Makes You Beautiful – And even more recent. I’m not a huge One Direction fan, okay? But I do love this song. My favorite most recent memory with this song? Driving Reagan and one of her friends to the first day of school. They were so quiet on the way because they were nervous, so I told them that I knew what would help them relax. I turned this on, turned it up, and we all sang along while they acted like they were embarrassed that I was singing it, too.
So that’s it – a perfect soundtrack for a summer car ride with the windows down. I better enjoy it while I still can because it’s starting to feel like fall in the morning. Please note: while I will happily sing along loudly to any of these songs (or many others) by myself or with my family, or even the girls’ friends, I can’t sing. So I restrict my singing to the relative privacy of my car.Read More